The 50th Super Bowl takes place this weekend, as the Denver Broncos face off against the Carolina Panthers at the Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California.
And for the first time since 2008, the action will be live on the Beeb, with BBC2 showing the whole game from 10.50pm (with Sky Sport’s coverage starting at 10pm). It’s going to be a late one if you decide to stay the course though, as the action doesn’t kick off until 11.30pm, and the match could potentially last over three hours.
To make it to the end of the game – or even just to watch half-time headliners Coldplay – you’re going to need some liquid refreshment and serious snackage to keep you going. And what could be more fitting than these tasty classics from the US of A?!
There’s no food more American than a hot dog. The Chicago dog is a favourite with sports fans who enjoy the combo of mustard and relish – no ketchup allowed on this dog!
- 1 Hot dog
- 1 Hot dog bun
- 2 tbsp French’s® Tomato & Jalapeno Relish
- 1 (cut in ½) Cheddar cheese slice
- 1 Bacon, rasher
- ½ tsp French’s Classic Yellow® Sweet Mustard
- While you’re heating the hot dog, place the cheese strips in the seam of a warm bun.
- Cover with relish, bacon tucked on one side and drizzle with mustard.
- Accompany with a beer and you’re set for the game.
Frank’s red-hot buffalo chicken wings
America takes its wings seriously so to make truly authentic wings, use Frank’s RedHot – the sauce used in the very original buffalo chicken wing recipe. You can’t beat a plate stacked high with these bad boys.
- 75ml Frank’s RedHot® Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1.25kg chicken wing pieces
- Place wings in a foil-lined pan and toss the wings in sauce to coat.
- Pre-heat the oven to 260C and bake them on the lowest oven rack for 20 to 25 minutes until crisp, turning once – or deep fry at 190C for 10 minutes. Ensure chicken is cooked through before serving.
USA-style loaded fries
Go big when it comes to fries – it’s all about loading them up with toppings to make a meal out of them. Cheesy, gooey and mustardy… make these fries for your mates to tuck in to.
- 2 potatoes, washed and cut into thin fries
- 2 sweet potatoes, washed and cut into thin fries
- 50ml (2tbsp) rapeseed oil
- 2 tomatoes, cut into large dice
- 3 spring onions, cut into thick slices
- 1 small can red kidney beans, drained
- 30ml (2tbsp) French’s® Chipotle Dressing
- 4 rashers of cooked back bacon, cut into large pieces
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- A sprinkling of French’s® Fried Onions
- A generous portion of French’s Classic Yellow®, Sweet or Spicy Mustard
- Take two large baking trays and place the potato and sweet potato evenly on both trays.
- Drizzle and coat with the oil. Place in a preheated oven set at Gas Mark 5, 190C (375F) for about 25–30 minutes until crisp and golden.
- In a small bowl mix together the tomatoes, spring onions and red kidney beans. Add the French’s Chipotle dressing and stir together.
- Take two heat proof bowls or two pieces of foil and one piece non-stick baking paper – place the three pieces together on a baking tray and then scrunch the edges to create a ‘take away’ plate or use two bowls.
- Scatter with potato and sweet potato fries, top with a large spoonful of the tomato salsa mixture, followed by bacon pieces, grated cheese and French’s® fried onions. Place back in oven for about 5 minutes until the cheese has melted and everything is warmed through.
- Add a large squeeze of French’s® mustard and serve on a pile of napkins.
Top image credit: enterline/123rf.com